Grand Canyon trails & vicinity

Gretchen gretchen@olympus.net
I spent my formative years with my good horse Pinon on the trails in and
around the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. In the early 80's I worked for
the mule concession at the North Rim and would spend my days off either
riding the trails in the trees at about 8000' or decending into the
canyon. Day use is permitted in the canyon but any longer that day use
will require a special use permit from the NPS. There are several good day
rides into the canyon The best being the North Kaibab trail 4 miles to
Roaring Springs a beautiful spring that explodes from the canyon wall.
There are hitching racks to tie to as the north rim mules make this a stop
on their daily trips down the canyon. If your up for a challenge you can
continue down the North Kaibab trail along Bright Angel Creek to Phantom
Ranch on the Colorado River at 2000' a 30 miles round trip from the North
Rim.It can be done in a day. Although you and your horse should be aware
of each others capabilities, the trail is steep, extremely hot in summer
 and rocky and depending on the time of year is used rather heavily by
hikers. Believe me it is a ride of a lifetime though. I'm still talking
about it twenty years later. There are other fantastic areas to ride Snake
Gulch on the west side of the Kaibab, the Paria Plateau just to the
northeast. Of course their is the forest of the Kaibab, elevation tops
around 9000', prettiest fall colors you will ever see. You can contact the
USFS in Fredonia, AZ. They can tell you when the numerous hunting seasons
take place and also supply you with information on water availablity (the
Kaibab is a dry mountain) and maps.
You can certainly drop me a line privately if you would like more
information on this very special place.
Wish I were going with you.

Have fun,

Gretchen Siefried #362