zig-zag problem

lynda thompson beattyrugrats@juno.com
I just read the post on smacking your horse when he spooks and I just had
to comment that this did not work for me on either of my horses.  If I got
after them it just made them more spooky and jumpy.  I think they spook
when they get bored so you need to give them something to think about.
The other thing that I do now is not look at scary things on the trail and
then maybe they don't notice them.  If you think they're going to be
scared of something you generally tense up and that makes them more tense
and they inevitably spook.  The other thing that seemed to work with my
horses is to keep them  moving forward even if they go 10 feet out of
their way.  I once read somewhere that it's safer if you just keep going
and not make a big deal of things.  These are just my thoughts and the
things that worked with my boys. I'm not saying that they never spook at
anything but it's not bad anymore.
'
Lynda