2nd draft, hit me with your best shot

Here's another draft of it.  I did it in word, cutting and pasting some of the helpful words which all of you kindly offered me.
I warn you before you read it, though, I sometimes have a wicked sense of humor.  Don't worry, it's only a joke and won't be on the web site.  See if you can spot it, though, just for fun.  :-)

And, to make all of you politically correct folks happy, I do not refer to it as a race.

:-)
Thanks for your help, and please continue to send suggestions or let me know if you think this one is good enough.

Oh, by the way, I just couldn't bring myself to totally delete the refrence about Mustangs, but I did modify it.  I'm on this new kick about promoting Mustangs.  Chalk it up to a female thing - just can't explain it.

Antoinette

Endurance Riding, also known as Distance Riding, is a cousin to the sport of Competitive Trail, often abbreviated as "CTR".  The slogan for Endurance riding is, "To finish is to win", and the first Equine across the finish line that is still fit to continue is the winner.  In the United States, we are split into regions.  In a particular region, there may be 4 or 5 rides per season.  Riders can travel outside of their region if they would like, and even compete in rides outside of the United States if they so choose.

Riders do not collect prize money.  They win T-shirts, items of tack, and other small prizes.  There are no $200,000.00 purses in Endurance Riding, Distance Riding, or Competitive Trail.  There is only the personal satisfaction the rider gets from the act of riding unusually long distances on a mount that is in good condition.   For some, it is a highly
competitive and challenging athletic endeavor.  For others it is a
recreational activity combining a camping trip with a trail ride.  For
yet others it involves a search to experience our American heritage, to
discover the country as our forefathers once did - from the back of a
horse.

There are vet checks at intervals along the way, the number of which depending on the length of miles the competitor has signed up to complete.  An Equine that does not pass the vet check is pulled from the ride and disqualified.  Such conditions as pulse, body temperature, and hydration are checked by the vet and the Equine must not be lame. The first ten horses to finish are judged for the Best Condition award, an honor designed to
reward superior care during the competition.

The most common breed of Equine used for this sport is the Arabian.  Arabs are often used because their blood vessels are closer to the skin than in a breed that is heavily muscled, such as the Quarter Horse or Draft breeds.  Proximity of the blood vessels to the skin aids in cooling the body faster, therefore speeding the recovery rate.  Quarter Horses do compete and complete Endurance rides.  Not everyone can tolerate riding an Equine with so much Arabian blood in it, so they choose a breed that has merely enough to add slight improvements to looks, intelligence, and tractability instead.  Mules are also popular Endurance mounts, and Mustangs are said to have a natural stamina due to their wild horse heritage, however, this writer has seen at least one Fox Trotter and a few Appaloosas do very well also.  To choose the breed that is right for you, click on the link provided at the bottom of this page.

Endurance rides are 50 & 100 miles long.  Rides under 50 miles are considered Limited Distance.  The most common Limited Distance ride is 25 miles.  A few Limited Distance rides are 15 miles long.  As you can see, there are many different levels of challenge for a rider to choose from.  It is not easy to stay in the saddle for 100 miles, so even if a rider purchased a well conditioned Equine with a Top 10 track record, the unconditioned rider would be very sorry to have entered such a challenge.  Beginners or riders who are not used to spending long hours in the saddle may want to consider Limited Distance in the beginning.

Such being the case, Endurance is a family sport and an excellent choice for children who are interested in competing on horseback in an as yet un-chosen sport.  The health and welfare of the Equine are put first, motivation comes from within rather than from the almighty dollar, and camping out can bring families closer, as can entering a ride together.

For more information on Endurance and Competitive Trail, go to www.endurance.net

Click here for information on Competitive Trail.

(of course, you can't click here yet because this page hasn't been written)

(please reply either on the list or privately. and remember, I won't be able to please everyone, so if there is something you think I have misstated, please correct me and site some printed statistic to back up your statement) (thanks)

Antoinette