The old zig-zag problem

I've read good advice on this far and would like to just add to it:

In addition you need to be 'proactive' at anticipating when the horse is
going to spook and do something; a little pressure on one bit, ask for a
little collection with your leg...take the mind off the 'uh oh here comes a
rock I'm gonna jump cause I'm excited' thread going on the in here and
nowness of that equine brain....

I agree, look at where you are going, straight ahead, use your peripheral
vision to rate the horse (ears will definately tell you), don't go with
tight (uptight) reins.....if they spook then stop, turn and walk them pass
the object going the other direction, then trot, then turn and insist on a
trot by with no spooks, however long it takes.  This really works if you are
heading home cause it pisses them off they have to go back the other
direction.  They learn real fast a stupid spook means going back out until
passing nice.  Of course, you probably want to do this on your own with no
other riders, plenty of time, and calmness in yourself...keep breathing! <g>

Lastly, don't get the energy level up so high you lose the horse's mind.
Work up to trotting with no spooks a certain distance then stop, calm it
down, don't insist on miles and miles of high energy.  It will come.
Recognize when the spook is adrenaline or boredom & do your preventive steps
to keep it from happening for the given situation.  Of course a real fright
means facing the object until calm and the horse recognizes it isn't
alive...it really is just a log...you should not be rushing pass this kind
of spook to begin with.

I hope this makes sense...I'm no expert but my horse will be
trotting/cantering fast and jump to the side 10 feet off trail if I'm not
'riding' him, but just going for a ride.  These are the things that have
worked for me but I also recognize he will _never_ be a non-spooker. <g>

Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab..."but I'm getting better and hav'in fun!")
Greenbrae, CA