Hit me with your best shot

I'm writing a page about Endurance racing for my web site.  I know you guys sometimes get your feathers ruffled when it's called a "race", but like it or not, it is a race.  I've been especially careful to state that what you are racing against is yourself, not another rider or horse.

I, myself, have entered and completed one 25 miler.  That was over a year ago & I plan to get back into it this season, starting in September or October, depending on how long it takes my obese horse to loose enough weight not to kill himself on the trail.

I admit I know very little about Endurance, and nothing about most of the things I mention in my article, but it's just something to tell someone fresh into horses about a sport they might be interested in.  What I need from all of you is your constructive criticism.  I don't want the article to be too long & am pleased with the length of it.  Maybe there is something I have written that I could leave out in order to make room for something else that is more important?

I also need Steph's permission to link to her site.

Next, I have to write a page about Competitive Trail, which I know even less about.  Would anyone care to volunteer to write that page for me?  I sure would appreciate it, although I couldn't pay anything for it.

So, without further adeu, here is my work in progress:

Endurance Riding, also known as Distance Riding, is a cousin to the sport of Competitive Trail, often referred to as "CT".

In an Endurance race, the rider is racing against themselves rather than against other horses or riders.  The slogan for Endurance riding is, "To finish is to win."   This is because the horse must pass a series of vet checks at pre-selected intervals along the ride.  Recovery rate, pulse, respiration, and hydration are all checked before the horse is allowed to continue the race.

The term "horse" is used loosely here, probably improperly, since Mules also make wonderful Endurance athletes, which would hold true for their talent and ability in Competitive Trail also.  Arabians are the preferred breed, with muscular breeds such as the Draft and Quarter Horse breeds being less common.  Arabs are often used because their blood vessels are closer to the skin than in a breed that is heavily muscled, which aids in cooling the body faster, therefore speeding the recovery rate.  Mustangs have a natural talent for endurance due to many generations out in the wild, rather than stabled and having fresh shavings delivered to them on a daily basis.

Endurance is a family sport and there are different competitive levels, but everyone generally uses the same 'track' during a race.  The main difference is the length of the ride.  Some rides offer 15/25/50.  This would mean that a rider can choose to enter a race that is 15 miles long, or one that is 25 miles long, or one that is 50 miles long.  100 mile races are also very common.  It is due to the length of the races and the fact that the horse must pass a pre-ride veterinary examination, pass one or more "vet checks" during the race, and a final post-race veterinary examination that Endurance riders, above all other Equine sport competitors, take extremely good care of their horses.   From nutrition to supplements to tack, even special training methods, such as interval training, are scrupulously studied by Endurance riders.  These Equine are athletes above all, and never considered trophies or show-pretties.  Even an ugly horse or a cow-hocked horse can win in Endurance.  It is safe to say that the sport of Endurance or Competitive Trail is the best choice to lead your youngster in should you be considering enticing your youngster away from "the wrong crowd" into something more wholesome, like Equestrian sports.  Emphasis is kept on the health and well-being of the Equine, and awards consist of T-Shirts rather than gold plated trophies or large cash rewards.

Attending an Endurance race is like attending a family reunion, without the skeletons in the closet.  The country is split into regions and many travel the circuit within their region, racking up total miles to get the coveted 'mileage patch'.  Since riders are not in competition with each other, everyone is generally very friendly and helpful.  Overall, Endurance is a sport that can enrich the life of the adult rider, child rider, and the Equine.  Endurance is a good sport for everyone involved, including the horse!

For more information on Endurance and Competitive Trail, go to www.endurance.net

Click here for information on Competitive Trail.
(of course, you can't click here yet because this page hasn't been written)
(please reply either on the list or privately. and remember, I won't be able to please everyone, so if there is something you think I have misstated, please correct me and site some printed statistic to back up your statement) (thanks)

Antoinette