Re: RC: Re: EHSC mishap

Jim, your points are well taken, and for everyone who has been on one or both
sides of this dilemma - how best to manage your pace without interfering with
or being interfered with by other riders - it is important that at any time
we ALL bear in mind that safety is first. I cannot TELL you how aghast I have
been over the last season or so at the incidents involving rudeness to the
point of danger - fortunately, not a LOT of PEOPLE, just a few people who
don't seem to care - or learn to care about the rudiments of safety, let
alone courtesy. I am not concerned about someone's desire to top ten any more
than the should be concerned about my desire to set an appropriate pace and
have a safe ride; to that end, there is NO EXCUSE EVER for jamming past other
rides on any trail, wide or narrow; no excuse for kicking other riders'
horses in the flank to move them; no excuse for screaming to "get outta my
way" when a polite if a little loud for distance' sake holler would do
(coupled with a 'thank you'); no excuse for ultimately putting anyone else in
harm's way for ANY reason. I have always felt that if people want to be
stupid on their OWN time and dime (i.e., crossing RR xings between the rails
and getting hit - then the family sues the state or whatever), well I guess
they can be true to their heritage or whatever; but stay out of MY life with
rampant stupidity, dangerous behavior and rudeness.

I recall getting rammed from behind on a ride about 2 years ago - a woman and
two girls I guess didn't WANT to wait about 30 SECONDS for me to move my
STALLION from a water trough for them and slammed into his back side. My
horse pinned his ears and picked up a foot but otherwise was the model of
self-control. One horse tried to bite my horse as we tried to get outta their
collective path (all 6 were fat), and as I moved off the woman had the nerve
to tell ME that I should red flag my horse's tail! I told her she needed both
duck tape on her mouth and a caution sign on her forehead.

Well, bottom line is that just plain courtesy and common sense goes WAY WAY
WAY far in this sport - and in life of course. Kind of puts a new slant on
those who can't or won't get that lesson, doesn't it? Jim, you are correct -
and as for us, we will always offer to move over at the first opportunity; if
a person says thanks but no, then it may BE a while before we have the space
to offer again. BUT - if you PASS, move it along. If you DON'T DON'T TAILGATE<
either. OUCH!