Re: Slamming the French

Apropos nothing in particular, I heard a new euphemism from a rider
on one of my rides:  "Going to France."   She said she was taking
out this young horse on the short course to see if she would keep
him because, if he acted like he did last time, then he was
"going to France."  She was using it as a euphemism
for being sold for meat.  (Around here, most horses sold for meat
are slaughtered in New Jersey, the carcasses are frozen whole
and then shipped to Europe.)

This is not intended as a slam on the French.  I just thought it
was funny.  The possibilities are endless if you need to threaten
your horse.  "Cross that water or I'm buying you a one-way ticket
to France!"  "Parlez-vous Francais, Night Star?"

Linda B. Merims
lbm@naisp.net
Massachusetts, USA