water crossings

An unexpected benefit I've seen from soaking my arabs hooves in Davis soaking boots is that has finally become comfortable with water.

I used to have a hard time leading him into mud (not mushy stuff, just wet dirt), and he would turn and run whenever I dumped the water trough to clean it.

But after using the soaking boots for several months, he acts like the water is no big deal.  He hated those boots at first (OK, not the boots, but the water in them) and I learned that it was mostly the noise of it splashing that scared him.  The first few weeks I could hardly get the boots off because he would stand stone still so that they wouldn't make noise - couldn't get him to pick up his foot to get them off.

Now he calmly kicks at flies and splashes water all over himself when he's soaking.  But the big thing is that when we're on the trail he calmly goes thru water and mud now (OK, we don't have big water here, so I haven't tried that, but he's fine with small streams,etc).

So although it might not solve all the water problems, those of you who are dealing with this might get a pair of Davis soaking boots for the front - about $20 each.

Kathy Kelly
Parks AZ