Re: RC: bran mash vs beat pulp

Beet pulp is great stuff.  BUT some horses don't like it to start with--new,
strange, I don't know.  If you plan on feeding it, start at least two weeks
or more from the ride and start with a small amount.  Just keep putting fresh
soaked beet pulp in front of the horse every day even if they don't eat much.
 I started by putting the grain in with the soaked beet pulp.  It took at
least two weeks for my horse to develop a taste for it.  Now she loves it.
Some people try it once or twice and the horse doesn't eat much so they
decide the horse doesn't like it.  Apparently it's an acquired taste, just
takes some horses longer to acquire the taste for it than others.  One great
thing about beet pulp is that you can feed all the horse will eat without
worrying too much about unbalancing their rations.  Another thing is that
apparently the taste of it covers all sorts of evils.  I add the daily white
salt ration, MSM, various supplements as needed.  Might be able to sneak
medications in too (although bute is pretty bitter).   jeri