  From: PatOlivatigger@aol.com
  To: ridecamp@endurance.net
  Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 10:49 AM
  Subject: RC: I AM A MEMBER PLEASE POST

  PA Game Lands

  A great example of how horse enthusiasts can be powerful and
effective
  advocates for sustained access to trails occurred in Harrisburg, PA
on
  Friday, Aug 17th.

  Pete Johnson  the state trail chairman for the PA. Equine Council
was
  fighting a lonely battle with little support.  Burn out made him
think about
  throwing in the towel when Debbie called him about the Game land
issue.
  They joined forces and organized a protest rally at the Games
Commission.
  Headquarters. This was not just for horse riders.  They invited
bikers and
  ATV's to join us. We met at a site about a mile from the Game Lands
  Headquarters for a march there to present our views.  There were
three TV
  networks and the press from several newspapers covering the march.

  We formed an impressive line with 108 riders, 2x2, a carriage and
the very
  best group of pooper-scoopers in the world.  Bringing up the rear
on clean
  pavement were the bikers and ATV's. The finest of PA's state
troopers did the
  traffic control.  The game land personnel came out to talk with
Pete and
  Debbie while we made an orderly group of friendly trail users.  The
media
  recorded this.  There was a march back to the parking area followed
by a
  short meeting and a lot of "thanks"

  There were few endurance riders-BUT there was the real strength of
us trail
  users.  The backyard  riders,  your next door neighbor biker and
ATV users
  joining together for a common goal.  This was an impressive
demonstration of
  our collective commitment and responsibility.  Not only did this
event
  influence the policy makers, it also gave all of us hope about the
promise of
  what we can accomplish together.  Debbie you stand tall! You earned
the
  right.  We have our sleeves rolled up and we won't give up!

  There are lots of well-organized efforts that are limiting our
access to
  trails everyday.  If you think that trails will be available for
our future
  without our work, advocacy, collaboration and planning - wake up
and smell
  the coffee.  This is not going to happen by itself. Riders who want
a future
  for their sport will need to journey down the path of activism and
become a
  part of the solution.

  -