EHSC Mishaps

What a great LD ride!! The second 30 mile loop is beautiful, especially
around the big meadow. Reminds me of Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite Park.
I did the LD a few years ago when there was a heavy winter and lots of
water and mud. This year, I didn't miss the boggy areas and the water
crossings were shallow.

A few incidents happened at this ride. Not only did Lynne's EZ-UP blow
into Ember (EZ-UP goes downwind Lynne, ;-D ), but two horses reared up
and over. One rider was sent to the hospital and the other went on to
complete the 50. My friend Peter, with a gorgeous Aulrab stallion, Magic
Aulrab, pulled after the first loop, after an incident on a single
track, rocky, STEEP, trail. It seems a women had a horse that started
backing up on the trail, which bumped the horse behind her, who then
backed and  bumped Peter and Magic. Two horses and riders went over.
Magic sustained many cuts and bruises and I'm not sure what the status
is on the other horse. Peter got a huge gash and other scrapes on his
back (and also received Jackie's "Hard Luck" award). The other rider who
went down the steep cliff-like section, had just crawled back up on her
hands and knees and was greeted by a very rude rider who yelled "Get out
of the way!!" The poor girl, who was still dazed, proceeded to back down
the hill. This rude rider also yelled at an older gentleman who was
holding two horses while his daughter, an EMT, helped Peter, his horse
and the other girl. The older gentleman later said that he was going to
write a letter to the rude rider about unsportsmanlike behavior. This
women is a very experienced rider. Kudos for the EMT gal, who really
helped out. She was ahead of the fiasco and happened to look back as one
of the horses was going down the hill.

There was also a horse that was treated and was sent to the hospital
after treatment failed to bring the horse any relief. It was very sad to
see and very emotional for some. I don't know if it was ride related;
there was speculation that the horse may have a twisted gut. Does anyone
know if this horse made it?? People were praying.

It was great to see many friends including Becky and Heather. I don't
see them much after they moved out of the PS region. Congratulations to
Heather. Tez Mark looks great! I also met some new people and had a
great time. Also, for all you gaited horse fans, a Tennessee Walker
completed his first 50, after two years of LD.

See everyone at Norco!

Lauren and the
Skunk-tailed Foxtrotter