Re: Cleaning EZ boots

> > I spray PAM in the bottom of the boots, it really
> > works great!
>
> Garrett Ford says PAM will also lessen the adhesive of
> the foam.  Have you had any trouble with this?

I have.  I tried it for a 20 mile NATRC ride this spring in the desert (no
water crossings - just rocks and sand) and 3 of the boots fell off during
the ride.  Bummer.

I just posted on the barefooted horse list about using e-boots this weekend
for a 40 mile NATRC ride - foamed on my unshod horse, with the heelstrap and
screws all removed.  I flattened the metal teeth and put duct tape over the
metal plate and pulley so cleanup was simple after using them.   It worked
well and I'll be using that setup again.  They were soooo much easier to get
foamed on correctly with the heelstrap gone.  Also, since I didn't cut the
strap up, I can put the straps back in the boots if I want to.  One boot
eventually came loose on the second day - wedged in rocks at a river
crossing - but this ride had lots of bogs, lots of water crossings.  I had
used vaseline at the coronet to keep the foam off, and it may have been a
factor in loosening the foam, too.  I slowed down and my horse finished
sound and on time despite losing the boot.

I am going to re-do this experiment at my Sept. ride as it is easy to use
and has promise for working well for us.  I'm going to trim the boots down
1/4" at the top, use vetwrap on the coronet, and nix the vaseline.  Since my
horse is unshod, her hooves don't have the extra 1/4" height that shoes add,
so the boots come up nearly to the hairline.  Trimming the boots shorter
mean the foam can come up a little higher in the boot, not end up on the
coronet, and probably will form a better seal.  I also may need to let the
foam get under the metal plate.

Sorry to write a novel about this, but I thought I'd put in details in case
anyone is trying the same thing with their horse.

Michelle