RE: How do you carry people water?

>I have a camelback water hydrations system that you can carry on your back
>like a pack and the tube clips on near your mouth.  mine carries about 70 oz
>and if you freeze the water the pack is so well insulated that it will keep
>the water ice cold for several hours 8-9.  you can also get an additional
>pack and ad it on top of the first for double the amount of water, or else
>have some one meat you some where with a refill. (I use this not only
>riding, but hiking to since hiking is a part of my job)

I tried that system but found the weight on my back bounced around more
than I liked and would occasionally throw off my balance during stretches
of very uneven footing.  The day I tried it I drank the water up as fast as
I could to get rid of it (probably a good thing <g>)and never used it that
way again.  I liked the ease of just drinking from the tube clipped to my
shirt so I got one of the thermal sleeves for the bag itself and put it in
the rear saddle bag.  Works great...you just have remember to unclip the
hose before you dismount or clip it to the saddle bag in between use,
unclipping when you want a drink.  I also carry additional bottles of water
in the front packs.  Won't help me if I'm separated from my horse but I'm
not very often in a situation where I wouldn't be rescued in a very short
time.  I've tried, but I just don't do well trying to carry the water on my
body.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm