How do you carry people water?

Okay,
 This may seem a simple silly question ( I grew up being told there were
no silly stupid questions, only silly stupid unanswered questions.) but
here goes anyway.
 How does one carry people water on one's person? Do you use a backpack?
That is the only thing I can think of, but I do not remember seeing any
backpacks on people (At least the winners) in the pictures from Tevis or
any other rides.
 Do you riders carry water on your sides? I am thinking of getting a pad
with large pockets on either side for CTR is this a good idea to keep
things in? After reading some of the "voices of experience" on the list,
I would rather carry most of my stuff on my person now! :0) LOL
 I am also thinking about just carrying a fanny pack and rigging up a
"belt" for me to carry two of our two quart water bottles on either hip
with surgical tubes coming out of the water spouts for me to drink from,
kinda like a camel pack. :0)
 What do you all use? I have almost all my money will be tied up in entry
fees, renting a horse trailer (unless I find someone in my area I can
trailer with), a halter bridle, and cross my finger to get that new
abetta saddle I want for the ride in October, as well as the little
things I need to get for a first aid pack and daily riding things.
 My first ride is in October, so I have some time. I will also be
attending a newbie clinic in September, but I don't want to look like a
COMPLETE nim-rod anyway. :0)

In His Hands,
Lisa P.
www.outbackacres.com
The Aussies:Possum, Boomer, Dusty, and Barley
Chat room ICQ #111639534