Re: RC: Trail Riding Safety

Marv,
I was a novice horse person a few years ago when these two incidents
happened. I want my colt to be a very safe horse so I would put him in the
pasture with a lead line dangling just long enough for 2 feet of it to drag
on the ground. That way his legs wouldn't get caught up in it and he learned
about not panicking if he stepped on it.  I also put a bit in his mouth at a
very early age. He now practically puts it on himself. He opens his mouth on
his own and puts it in. So he knows about things being in his mouth. Anyway,
here's my two stories that made me proud of myself to have taught my colt to
not panic. Trust is very important and I spent a lot of time with him just
being with him. He learned that I'll save him if he doesn't panic.
One day I decided to put my lightweight Wintec English saddle on my 2 yr. old
colt. I wasn't going to ride him of course, just get him used to the feel of
the saddle. Now, I'm no trainer so I just play with him till it's time to go
to the trainer. Anyway, I neglected to take off the leathers and irons. As I
was walking him in the pasture, he decided to turn around and inspect the
leathers. The irons were up and not dangling so the leathers were looped. He
took one in his mouth and when he turned to put his head forward, the
leathers tightened in his mouth like a really really tight bit. It pulled his
lips (do horses have lips?) back very tightly. It was locked around his back
teeth and he looked at me like "now what?" I peeled the thing out of his
mouth and over his teeth while he stood there stock still. He was as calm as
could be and he was looking at me to save him.
One day not long after this happened, I took him to the park to hand walk him
to get used to the outside world and be around cars. I was using a longe line
because he sometimes bolted because of an unusual noise and I didn't want to
lose him in the park. Anyway, I was using a line with the chain at the end. I
doubled the chain and clipped it under his chin. I was letting him graze
about 25 ft. from the road. The cars didn't bother him. As I was talking to
my friend who came along, I wasn't watching and the chain was laying on the
ground as he ate. He promptly stepped forward and stuck his foot in the
middle of the chain so when he stood up, his leg went up with his head. I
immediately thought broken leg when he freaks. Just then, 2 huge trucks
rumbled by at 55mph. He just stood there on tippy toe with his right front
foot and the other at his nose. Didn't move. Just looked at me like "well,
I'm waiting." After I unhooked him, he started grazing again like it happened
every day.
The point I'm getting at is spend time with your youngsters. Even if it's a
walk around the house every night like we still do. Let him get to know you
because he needs to know you'll be there when he gets into trouble.
Thanks for your time Marv. Deb