Re: RC: Bryce XP

In a message dated 8/19/01 8:30:57 AM, reallykk@infomagic.com writes:

<< I am making plans to attempt my 1st 50 (for both my and my horse) at the
Bryce XP in 10 days.  Still trying to decide which day to enter.

For those of you who are familiar with this ride, do you have any
recommendations for which day would be best for us?? >>

I have done this ride 3 or 4 times but will miss it this year.  Assuming Dave
follows the general pattern he has in the past, you should skip the first
day.  It seems a little longer and harder than the other days.  Give your
horse a chance to get used to camp and the other horses a chance to get rid
of their excess energy.  You will notice the start on day one will be fast
like most one day rides, while most people will be starting at a walk on the
other days.  Better for your horse to have a quiet start for its first fifty.

I am a big believer in using the middle days of a multi-day for a horse's
first endurance ride.  Since it will be your first fifty too, you should try t
o hook up with a more experienced rider and be very careful.  Since there
will be only one mid day vet check, you won't have 3 or 4 vet checks where
some one will be looking at your horse.  Dave will usually be out on his
motorcycle looking at horses here and there, but you need to rely on yourself
primarily as you always should at any endurance ride.  Look for water from
natural sources anywhere near the trail.  Don't think you can get all the
water you need from water ride management sets out in troughs.  Just because
there may not be as many formal vet checks does not mean you can't take a few
rest breaks here and there to water and electrolyte your horse and let it
graze a few minutes.

If you do OK with your first fifty, skip another day and try again on the
fourth or fifth day.  Your horse will start it's endurance career with an
idea of what it might do for the rest of it's life.  The scenery on the last
stretch of the Under the Rim Trail on the last two days is so both strange
and gorgeous it would not seem real if you only saw a picture of it.

Finally, although what Dave says at ride meetings might sound alternatively
funny, sarcastic or even offensive to tender ears, pay attention to every
single word he says about taking care of your horse on the trail.  This ride
will allow you to go through spectacular country with a bunch of my wonderful
multi-day buddies.  I wish I was going.  Good luck.

John Parke
Solvang CA