Trail Riding Safety

I have been contacted by Fox Network Television about doing a segment for
one of their programs.  The premise is going to be "Surviving On The Trail."

Of course, the producers know little about horses other than they "rode a
little
when they were a kid," but in researching segment possibilities they were
stunned by the horse injury / death figures.

And television being what it is, it could go anywhere from dropped where it
sits
to becoming Fox's Horse Authority Talking Head (stop laughing, it's TV, for
Pete's
sake).

What I'm looking for are safety dos & don'ts, ideas, examples and stories of
things that have gone bad on *your* trail (any ride outside of an enclosed
area)
rides and the rides of those you are personally aware of who have had bad
experiences trail riding.

Marv "Well, yes, galloping down that slope while wearing my one man band
outfit
and doing 'Stars & Stripes Forever' would be a spectacular example of a
trail ride
gone bad.  Make up!!!" Walker