Fwd: RC: 2001 Tevis Cup Ride

Hi Julie: Interesting post. I had something similar happen to me several
years ago at the Tevis. After finishing the ride I put my horse "HUD" in the
stall and put out his hay and water. I was very tired and crashed near by.
Later on when I got up and went to his stall he was up and eating. I decided
it was time to give him a bath. I was just to tired to do this at the end. I
took him up to the wash rack which is up a bank near the stalls. I went back
to my vehicle to get a sponge, hose and shampoo. Three Vets approached me
and asked me where my horse was. I pointed, He's up there at the wash rack.
I am going to hose him off. They said someone had summoned them because your
horse was down in the stall and was rolling! I asked them if that was
unusual. They said no. They did not bother to walk up the bank to the wash
rack but just observed him from where they were standing. Then they smiled
and walked away.
I agree you do not need a great horse to finish the Tevis. Hud was a Albino
gelding. He was a good horse tho. We finished the Tevis six times together.
He was also a veteran of the Great American Horse Race of 1976. He was a
wonderful companion.
The greatest Tevis horse was Witezarif with 6 Tevis Cup Wins with Donna
Fitzgerald up. Others who have won it twice were Bandos & Molla owned by
Wendell Robie. Bezatal ridden by Ed Johnson. Pancho with Bud Dardi. El
Karbaj with Hal Hall, Rush Creek Hans with Boyd Zontelli, Fritz with
Marjorie Pryor. R.O. Grand Sultan (Rio) with Becky Hart, Saxx with Chris
Knox and Cougars Fete with Erin McChesney. Cougars Fete is a granddaughter
of Bezatal. A kissing cousin to our current Haggin Cup horse Fayette de
Cameo. Cougars Fete also won the Haggin cup twice along with her wins. Then
the horse with the most Haggin Cup wins (3) was HCC Gazal, owned and ridden
by Julie Shur. You will need all your fingers and toes plus more to count
all her Tevis Buckles. Bye Hope