RC: Theft reporting and prevention

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's saddle, Garrett.  Did you report it stolen
to Auburn PD?  If not, here's their phone # (916) 823-4237.  Call them now
and report it.  They may just give you a log number, but at least its a
start.  If they are reluctant to help after the delay, e-mail me, I have a
friend who works there and will get you results.  Anyone else who had items
stolen, contact the law enforcement agency who has jurisdiction over the area
that the theft occurred.

I was at Tevis this year and was amazed at all the property/equipment left
unattended.  I know that endurance riders as a whole are good people, but
times are changin' folks and as the sport is getting more popular, there will
be more people around with questionable morals and ethics.  Sadly, that's
just the way it is.

The best prevention for theft is not to leave things unattended.  Put it up
and lock it up.  Before you leave it out, even for a minute, ask yourself how
upset you would be if it "disappeared".

Mark your belongings with initials and/or your driver's license number.  Do
not use your social security number.  Unless you're a criminal and already
"in the system", most state data bases cannot do a search via SSN, but they
can punch in a DL and get a hit.  Then its easier to track you down.  If your
property is serialized by the manufacturer, write it down and keep it in a
safe place.

It sounds to me as if the property stolen at Tevis was stolen by folks who
wanted it for personal use, not for pawning.  If you have property stolen in
this case, you'll probably never get it back.  : (   If it has been stolen
and is going to be sold, you have a far greater chance of getting it back if
1). you report the theft to law enforcement  2). your property is serialized
or marked with a personal identifier (i.e., driver's license #).

Honestly, 9 times out of 10 you won't see your property again, but if you
don't report it, you don't even give law enforcement the chance to look.
I'll give an example.  If your property is serialized and stolen and you
report it to the police in Auburn, they will enter that serial number into a
state wide (sometimes nation wide) data base for stolen property.  Then if
another agency stops someone 500 miles away and they have your saddle and the
police run the numbers through the data base, BAM!! it comes up stolen and
that person gets arrested for possession of stolen property.   If you just
put your driver's license # on the stuff, the police can run the number and
get your name/address and contact you to inquire about the whereabouts of
your property.  If you tell them, "oh, that was stolen on 8-4-01 and reported
to Auburn PD case #123xyz," once they confirm it......another one goes to
jail.  Even if you don't have any identifiers on the property, report it if
it gets stolen.  They can at least enter it into their local data base.  Then
when they find some dirtball using your cooler to cover all the junk in the
back seat of his car, they can check their local records and hopefully take
someone to jail.  Also, pawn and consignment shops aren't real hot on taking
in property with personal identifiers unless the seller has some sort of
documentation showing where they got it.

Hope these tips help someone, any questions feel free to e-mail me.

Abigail Madden
Rosko
& Tiger