Re: RC: Re: First Aid Kit Save the Day!

In a message dated Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:03:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Onefarmgirl writes:

> Just a note re: use of Betadine    In human medicine, betadine needs to be diluted substantially.  It should be a little darker than strong tea, no more.  Otherwise it is damaging to the tissue - actually lyses (breaks) cells.  This is only a little bad in a brand new wound, when everything is all torn up anyhow, but in healing wounds, you obviously want to avoid anything that might damage those nice new cells filling in the wound.    Similar for veterinary practice?    pat farmer

Actually, I'd be inclined to say that it is more important to be diluted for FRESH wounds than for healing ones, but it really should be diluted for both.  Usually a solution about 1/10 tamed iodine and 9/10 water is sufficient.

Be careful of using any iodine products in wounds below the knee and hock after the first couple of days, as iodine is one of many substances that can stimulate growth of proud flesh.

Heidi