Re: Re: First Aid Kit Save the Day!

> Beyond that, what I said earlier about a pack of bandage material would
apply, and if I were to use any one sort of wound dressing, it would be a
drawing agent for puncture-type wounds--I personally like to mix tamed
iodine with epsom salts, and both are easy to carry.  > Heidi

Hi Heidi,

This Karen of the bra story.  Well, this post from you was timely, as we had
a minor injury today.  My daughter was ponying the 5 year old, and let her
get ahead too far-she kicked out at my daughters  horse and got my daughter
in the knee and ankle (currently on couch with ice packs).

She kicked a second time, and got my daugthers mare on the chest edge, right
above the right leg.  A VERY small horizontal cut, but lots of blood-looks
like it is deep and maybe nicked a vein.  Stopped bleeding pretty soon, but
opened up again on the trailer ride home.  A better inspection shows that
when you press above the cut, it startes the bleeding again.  Well, what I
did was hose the shoulder clean, and get a syringe, then syringed iodine up
into the cut.  Because the mare is not limping, and it is draining downward,
I am inclined to syringe the puncture several times a day with iodine and
otherwise leave it alone.
What do you think?  Let mother nature take care of it?

BTW-same 5 year old spooked into me May 7 and scraped up inside of my ankle
pretty bad-bad bruise and two starnge, deep puncture wounds like circles.  I
was NOT very good about keeping them clean, one healed and one sort of oozed
until
late June, when it was clear it was infected.  It had looked scabbed over,
but there was a deep abcess.  This was during a horse camping trip, so a
friend who is an emergency room nurse had some of this iodine, and gave me a
bottle.  Said to apply several times a day, that it would both disinfect and
DRY out the hole...and if it didn't to get it looked at when I got back
home.
Anyway, she claimed this iodine was MUCH more effective than any antibiotic
ointments-for both horses AND people.

Karen