Re: RC: Conflict of Interest

In a message dated Fri, 10 Aug 2001  1:07:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, RBluebirdpr@aol.com writes:

> <<  The more
>  outside financial support there is, the more inaccessible it
>  becomes to those who are not either rich or well-connected.
>
>  kat >>
>
> I not sure I agree with you Kat.  I have been an outside financial supporter
> for the last two Pan Ams.  I could be wrong about this but I believe that
> because of outside supporters, the number of rider/horse teams have been
> increased for this Pan Am, allowing riders and horses to compete who have not
> been able to in the past.

Phil, this is SO true, and it also speaks to the earlier posts complaining about USET.  USET has one function--to try to send the VERY best riders the USA can offer in each discipline it represents.  It relies on donations to do this, so of course, it helps a lot if our riders can bring home medals.  And a few specific competitions notwithstanding, endurance riders have been FAR more consistent in bringing home medals than ANY other discipline USET has supported.  Far from being elitist, USET supports the best riders.  Period.  They need not be royalty, or from "upper crust" families, or related to prominent political figures, or even wealthy.  As Angie put it, "the Clampetts are coming"--and in many cases, some of our best riders have indeed been "nobodies" with a lot of grit and determination and skill, and have gone to World competitions thanks to help of USET and individual backers.  Prior to the involvement of USET, only those riders with considerable disposable income co!
uld compete overseas.  That sort
 of elitism no longer limits our choices, thanks to USET.

Furthermore, NOBODY is holding a gun to anyone's head in AERC and forcing them to compete on an international level.  The existence of organizations such as USET is a wonderful boon to ordinary folks who want to compete internationally, as is the help from individuals such as you, Phil.  But as usual, our resident ridecamp Chicken Littles are running around clucking that the sky is falling.  Well, it isn't.  I happen to love the international scene (and Lord knows I've paid my dues there, managing a Pan Am, and crewing and serving as a team vet at Worlds and North Americans), but as a competitor, I have to be realistic and realize that I will likely never get there.  I'm far happier to toodle down the trail at the relatively local AERC rides when I get the opportunity, enjoying the scenery, the camaraderie of friends, the pleasure of being a team with my horse, and racking up a few career miles.  And since it's a free country, and both organizations can co-exist, there is no r!
eason not to simply pick the sor
t of competition that pushes your personal buttons and go from there.  What's more, if folks don't feel compelled to participate in one aspect or another of the sport, why the heck can't they just leave it to those who DO, and quit meddling??

Heidi