EZ boots and foam vs. duct tape

Jonni (jonnij@ntws.net)
Wanted to toss out a question and some thoughts here. On XP2001 there were
MANY riders using EZ boots. Some just on the front feet, and others on all
four. We used them on some of our horses, to relieve some of the
concussion from the hard packed roads in some areas. We had the foam
along, but never used it. We always did some wraps of duct tape around the
outside of the hoof, then applied the boots. I know many riders were doing
the same, and not foaming them on. Our horses also had shoes on, and we
made sure the interior heel strap was pulled up above the ends of the
shoes. The little grip teeth, on the inside of the boots grabbed into the
duct tape. We did not lose one single boot. They stayed on great. We could
easily (well, not THAT easy) remove the boots when the horse was on rest
days, to let the foot stay aired out, and clean out the boot. We
personally did not have trouble with dirt getting into the boot to a level
that it irritate the heel bulbs...a consern some folks had.

The question is, from you EZ boot users, pros and cons on the duct tape
vs. the foam??? The tape is MUCH easier to deal with, thats for sure. Just
wondering, as it did work well for us. (but we did not have mud to deal
with when we started using the boots on the XP)

Jonni, Texas