speeding up the walk

Ray O. rno2m@virginia.edu
   I had this problem at the "flat walk" gait,and it seemed that like many
horses,mine just didn't want to increase the speed  unless he could use
"2nd gear".And some horses just don't know this is possible.Truman P.
suggested a lot of what he calls the "power walk"-forcing the horse to
stay in the walk on long uphill grades,where he will naturally speed up as
he trys to get into a canter.My MFT now has a great flat walk.