Re: RC: Slow walker

Hi Jennifer

A tip somebody gave me once to speed up the walk - use your crop to lightly touch her shoulder, make sure that you do it on both so you don't "numb" the one side.  Find the right spot as some horses react to just in front of the shoulder blade and some to almost at the girth.  You don't even have to raise your hand, the laying on the shoulder is enough and I've seen it work time after time.

I personally don't ride with a crop, but I touch Ibn's elbow with my foot every time it's within reach.  Also, don't forget that you shouldn't nag - when you have the fast walk, ease the crop or foot off her and wait until she lags, then only do you ask again.

Hope this helped.
Kristene