RE: Re: Show and tell, questions for oldbies

Title: RE: Re: Show and tell, questions for oldbies

As a just a little beyond newbie and not yet an oldbie – I say JUST DO IT!
A riding buddy of mine just did the LD at Fireworks and I predicted that she would
find the LD too easy and will want to move up to the 50 milers right away – and sure
enough – she finished the ride and was raring to go again.  But that’s just her.
And that was me, too.  I figured that Beau would do better learning to pace himself
by doing 50’s than doing LD’s.

The way I figure it, brains at an endurance rides only happens by DOING endurance
rides.  My normally mild-mannered Beau can turn into a raving racing idiot at an
endurance ride, but he’s improving with experience.  The first ride I went to this season
he was actually shaking with nerves before the ride.  I talked to a very experienced
endurance rider and she said that her her famous endurance horse used to shake before
a race, too, and that it was just anticipation and anxiety.  So that made me feel a lot better.

I’m looking at these 50 mile rides as training rides for 100 miles.  Crazy aren’t I.

Drako  the 4 y.o. – on the otherhand…..  We’ll see if I can finish a 25 miler this fall without
getting trashed!  Beau was 8 y.o. with lots of trail under our belts before we attempted
our first endurance ride together.  This is making me think hard about putting Drako in
an LD in the fall – maybe too ambitious.  We’ll see.

K.