Community Ride

I observed something very interesting this weekend and
have to comment on it.

I went to a ride held by a local group, wagon train, riding, camping,
entertainment and food. It really was a good time but interesting to
compare "our" horses and how they are treated as compared to
what i saw this weekend.

It was hot 90 or about and humid, we had about a 5 hour ride, fairly
flat ground. Over half the horses I saw probably only get ridden once
a year, at this ride and were fat and out of shape. Lots of ya-hoos
running by on these out of shape horses. At the end of the day
the poor veterinarian unfortunate enough to cover this ride was working
her butt off. I never saw so many colics, tying up, dehydration, etc etc.

Made me realize how well our horses are conditioned and cared for because
I have never seen anything like this at any competitive or endurance rides.
We need to pat ourselves on the back.

Julie R.Coats, A.H.T.
NCSU College of Veterinary Medicine