Re: Horse trailer roadside insurance

Just a little further thought to add on this subject, I had AAA+ (CSAA
Northern CA), when I had a problem on a Sunday 50 miles outside of Red
Bluff 2 years ago when returning from the Hayfork NATRC ride. On calling
AAA, I was informed that they would tow my tow vehicle but not my horse
trailer. Fortunately my vehicle was still drivable (lost the alternator
belt on the diesel engine) so I didn't have any power boost on the
brakes (ever tried to stop a large rig with little brakes?). So I was
able to drive to Colusa (100+ miles) and stay with a friend until I
could get replacement belts the next day. When I got back to the Bay
Area, I called CSAA and ask why this was the case. They informed me that
it depended on the AAA contract station that answered the call. If they
had the capability, then they would tow the horse trailer (i.e. dispatch
1 or 2 tow vehicles). Apparently the Red Bluff contract station did not
have this capability. Nor did the AAA station in Hayfork. Also, it
depended on what state you were in as to whether or not you could get
this service. Just because Northern CA CSAA offered this, there was no
guarantee about other AAA associations around the country. Since I
didn't have any other option I stayed with AAA+ until the end of June.
At that time, due to the posting on the CTR list, I had already
investigated the Allstate Motor Club RV Roadhelp and they assured me
that they would indeed dispatch 2 tow vehicles or a single vehicle that
could tow my truck, camper and horse trailer, even with my horses in it.
So I switched. I haven't had any occasion yet to use it, but at least
their main number did understand my problem, so I don't anticipate any
problems.

-Jim Ferris