RE: Re: Hackamores/ex-racehorses

Title: RE: Re: Hackamores/ex-racehorses

Abby – some real intelligent remarks here, as always!

I have an Arabian S hackamore that is great for when my niece rides Beau or when I’m on a casual training ride.  He does go nicely in it when he’s relaxed, but he’ll stretch out and brace against it when he’s not.  My biothane halter/bridle is also a sidepull and I could ride him with the sidepull part for the second half of the ride. Neither of them offer me any brakes for an endurance ride, so I continue to use the French Link in a “race” situation so at least I can use some lateral action to disengage his hindquarters.

Drako, my 4 y.o., has been backed without a bit – I’m still riding in the rope halter which provides me with ability to apply brakes.  He is learning to yield to poll pressure nicely.  He’s finally beginning to let me put a bridle on (after about a ½ hour of coaxing) so soon he’ll be in a bit also.

I prefer a nice little French Link because I could pretend I know some dressage.  At our last ride, he came into the vet checks with a nice soft foamy mouth so I think he’s finally getting it (or maybe I’M getting it!).

For the ex-racehorse – I would say nothing would take the place of starting some slow, careful arena work in getting the horse to listen.

K.