APOLOGY - long

Ridecampers,

I am writing this to all whom I have offended with any post I have
written since June 19 which was the first one I wrote requesting
information regarding the death of the mare at NASTR.  Since joining
Ridecamp in '97, I have posted very little.  Mostly, I have lurked
here.  I have learned many things.  To those who have willingly shared
their tips and techniques - thank you.  I have also read through many
of the Flame War posts.  In this 4 years, we have cussed and discussed
everything from nekkid joggers, to guns on the trail, to dogs in camp,
the Heidi / TI conflicts and much more.  Believe or not, I actually
learned some things from TI & Heidi during this era.

I grew up in Texas on the horse show circuits.  In that part of the
country, QH and Appaloosa breed shows have fierce competition.  I
finally stopped because I could not stomach the horrors many of these
horses endure for futurity monies.  I had heard of endurance and in
98, I thought I would like to learn about it.  After years of
competing, I have no desire blaze any trails.  The camping out and the
wilderness riding are enough for me.

This issue of the horse death affected me and I saw a side of the
endurance community I did not realize was there.  It is an emotionally
charged issue to say the least.  Some, like me, wanted to know more.
We wanted to know what was the real deal.  We asked, "What is the real
deal, here"?  Others said, "Let's not talk about it until we know the
facts.  Besides, AERC is handling it".   But, the facts never appeared
here for those who asked.  Over a month later, I contacted B. Fleming
and D. Barnett only to discover that nothing would be done.  Oh, they
had talked about it, but since no one had filed a grievance and forked
over any money, nothing was "officially" being done.  I found out that
I could file a grievance, so I did.  I *knew* that it would be a
grievance AERC could ignore because none of our rules applied here.  I
felt so bad about the suffering and death of this mare, that I filed
anyway, in her name.  It is my hope that something positive comes out
of this.  Then perhaps, she won't have died in vain.

I suggested in my protest that maybe more that 1 vet check is needed
on a 50 mile ride.  If there had been 2 vet checks on this ride, this
mare "might" be alive right now.  Who knows.  I realize that an
experienced, careful rider on a fit athlete can do a 50 miler safely
with only one vet check.  It's just that there are lot's of others
that don't meet this criteria and they are out there too.  It is their
horses that pay the price.  Fortunately, most of the time only their
health is compromised - not their lives like the NASTR mare.

I protested the fact that the LD race on this ride has it's vet check
at the 20 mile point.  This is not in compliance with rule 1.2.1.4
which states that the vet check should be at, or near, the halfway
point.  Twenty miles is not near the halfway point of a 25 mile race.
This is the same with the Comstock 25, The Washoe Valley 25 and the
Land of the Neversweats 25.  All have riders going app. 20 miles
before their horses see a vet.  Many new people enter these races -
many of them ride very fast.  Additionally,  these races have a 1 hour
hold at this 20 mile point vet check as opposed to races I have
attended in other areas where the vet check on a 25 miler is 15-20
minutes in length.  The extra 45 minute hold time eats into the 6
hours alloted for the race.  People have to ride faster to make up for
the loss in time.

The last suggestion I made was a similar system to what other
countries are doing as far as requiring people brand new to the sport
to do 1+ LD before advancing to the longer distances.  At NASTR, this
was the rider's and the horse's first race and it was a 50.  It won't
solve all the problems, but perhaps, it would assist people in
learning about the sport and caring for their horses.

Many here think that this has been a lynch mob - a blood bath.  There
has been no compassion for the dear child who lost her horse.  This 19
year old woman was offered money and transportation (by strangers) to
a medical facility where her horse could be treated more extensively
than in a ridecamp.  These offers were REFUSED and her mare died after
suffering for 19 hours.  The only one I am sorry for here is the horse
and the ignorance that caused this tragedy.

I have received criticism for my views and my writing of this subject
here on ridecamp.  Maryben has suggested that this is not the forum.
Where is the forum?  We have no other forum, except for the "The Way
We Win " group that is just now forming.  This incident would have
never been known to other riders, had it not been for ridecamp.  Why?
Because no one talks about the dead horses.  Some don't want it
discussed on the internet because the animal rights advocates could be
lurking.  OK.  So we have things to hide from groups who don't like to
see sports that involve sick or dead horses??  This is a sport that
wants to step into the Global spotlight??  It will be hard to hide
there.

So here we are.  I again apologize to all I have offended.  I
apologize to Maryben for my harsh posts to her.  I will wait for her
apology to me for her less-than-friendly posts and emails.

To those of you who supported me - thanks.  We shall see what becomes
of this.  Many here have made some great suggestions for improvement.
As I wrote in my protest letter - our horses should not have to pay
for this sport with their health and their lives.  Talking about it is
the beginning of a change.  To those who discourage this discussion on
ridecamp and to those who have written me the nasty private emails, I
say, "Better we discuss it here, and make positive change".  If
nothing happens, there are those who will step in and make changes for
us.

Linda Hedgpeth