AAA

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net

I don't remember who it was who asked whether AAA roadside
assistance (not the same as AAA insurance) is provided if you
are not on a paved road.

It does.  You do need to be on a PUBLIC road, but it does not
matter if that public road is paved.

And you only have to be near a public road, you don't need to
actually be on it (e.g. they can and do provide assistance if
you are stuck in the grocery store parking lot, even though that
is on private property) especially if you have pulled off the
public road in order to get out of traffic.

However, I have found that AAA tow truck drivers will go anywhere
you ask them to, just as long as you ask the tow truck driver
and not the dispatcher :).  I have gotten AAA tow truck drivers
to go up my "driveway" (2 miles up a dirt road with a 1000' climb
and three hairpin turns), but I have met them at the gate.

It also helps, however, if you tell the dispatcher that you have
a big truck so they know they need to send a big tow truck.

kat
Orange County, Calif.