Re: RC: RE: Preventing Herd Bound Behavior?

In a message dated 7/26/2001 8:53:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lanconn@tds.net writes:

> I think extensive early handling does help this...and does make them
>  more independent of other horses and more reliant on their human "herd
>  leader"

I have had my mare from birth.  Because I didn't have another horse to ride,
I started riding the mare when the filly was about three weeks old.  First in
the arena in sight of the baby, then after about a month, down the road.  I
left for about ten minutes or so at first (just lunged the mare) then longer
and longer.  I gave the baby some food to keep her happier while I was gone.
I think it taught her that Mom will come back, and that being left behind is
not a big deal.  She was staying by herself for up to an hour when she was
about two months old.  I weaned her at 4 1/2 months, then was forced to put
her back with Mom due to a change in boarding stables.  She has never been
overly bonded to another horse.  I will admit, there are times when she
fusses when we ride away from her best buddy, or calls when her buddy is out
of sight at a ride, but after a few minutes she will settle down and get back
to work.

She was also imprinted.  Some took, some didn't.  She was a little stinker
from about 2 weeks to about six months, but since then has been a real pocket
baby.  She's 7.

jeri