Day 38, 2001 XP

Now we are at Sand Mountain -- actually, it's a gravel pit somewhere
outside of Fallon, Nevada.  We rode from Cold Springs and today was
probably one of the hardest days of the ride so far.  It's still near 100
degrees outside, and the ride was 51 miles of mountains.  We finished at
4:38 p.m. by my watch, with a 5:00 a.m. start.  It was a long, hard...hot
day.  I had two of the kids with me -- Kayla and Calina.  We hurried our
butts off to get into lunch, about the halfway point in 5 1/4 hours -- that
wasn't easy, but we made it and then had enough time to finish the second
half after lunch.

We had great crews today which probably helped keep us and the horses all
alive and well.  Our horses were doing really well actually -- Weaver
started out before we left this a.m. by drinking twice really good and then
he tanked up every chance we got.  I was glad that I'd been electrolyting
him as hot as it turned out to be.  He even peed more than his normal 7
times.......and when Dave met us at crew stops he inhaled buckets of soaked
feed.  Now he gets tomorrow off and then has one more day to go then he'll
get a nice vacation!!

The ride this morning was really nice, we started out climbing and went up
and down a lot thru the mountains, and thru mustang trails with sagebrush
as tall as my horses ears.  It was one of the most difficult days that
we've had on the trip, made even moreso by the heat and the fact that we've
been out here for so long.  The horses all did well, we got off on all the
steep stuff and led downhill.  It was pretty slippery over some of the
rockier sections.  Going into lunch was a reeeeeeally long downhill but it
was sandy and fairly easy to trot.  I think trotting downhill for so long
on these horses now was pretty demanding on them but Weaver seems to have
managed to come thru in great shape tonight.  He's one tough horse -- still
gets credit for doing all of the hardest days.

After lunch the trail was flatter but still had some climb, some deep sand
and it continued to get hotter.  We had great crews after lunch though --
between Dave meeting us a few times, and Hugh Vanderford and the Lakso's we
had it made.  Gloria got sick and finished behind us.   The kids always
dive into the water and we all go down the trail with our shirts and heads
wet and the horses sponged off -- it really helps a lot to handle the
heat.  The kids are doing great but also getting tired.  They handle the
heat pretty well though, and drink a lot and never seem to run out of
energy.  Some of the adults got sick today, including Trilby who almost
didn't make it because of getting heat stress, but then finally made it in
okay.  Bonnie Way and Ann Sands were with her.

The sunset is sure nice tonight.  We are surrounded by mountains, with a
great big flat white alkali flat off in the distance, and the glimmer of
headlights from highway 50 on the right.

Tomorrow is another long day and we finish by Fort Churchill.  Then we'll
only have one day left, the finish in Virginia City.  Hard to believe it's
almost here already!  A few more new rigs pulled in tonight.  You can tell
they are new, they are clean (ha).

Guess I better get to bed so I'll be ready to go by 5 a.m.  It'll be a
great day and a sad day, Rocky's last day on the XP trail.

Happy XP trails,

Karen
near Sand Mountain, Nevada
.....only 2 days left!