reply to NATRC Swanton by Guest

Excuse me Deanna, this is not what I said...perhaps I wasn't clear...

I had 15 minutes from coming into the gate to have the horse down and p&r.
Since the p&r is only 15 minutes long, I was then allowed to leave.  Where
do you get another 15-20 minutes from while remaining within the natrc
schedule published and given to the riders?   Isn't a 15 minute p&r just
that, 15 minutes scheduled for p&r and anything beyond that is falling
behind their recommended schedule for completion on time?

And let me clarify, of course the horse comes first, of course I would not
leave without full recovery, of course I could care less about points or
completions if it means putting my guy in any type of jeopardy.  My horse is
in extremely good shape as shown by his recoveries, vet checks and attitude
and I will always _try to_ (..I'm listening Bob..)error on the conservative
side.

The swanton is a tough ride and if you want to complete it within the
parameters you need to move fast throughout the entire ride, period.  It is
not a ride I can honestly see being able to come in 'before time' in order
to ride slower later on.  Perhaps other natrc rides are.

My point was only that (IMHO) it is easy to be set up for DIMR if one is not
careful.  (not that I had it!) <g>

I do look forward to trying another NATRC ride and will benefit from
suggestions received.

Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab..."the only thing holding me back is my
rider..hey, watcha do'in down there?")

*************************************

Deanna German finishis2win@columbus.rr.com
Lynn,

Thank you for clarifying NATRC rules. My question was somewhat rhetorical
(although I did not make that clear) as I suspected that NATRC rules were
much like the rules of the CTR organization I compete under.  After the
horse has met parameters in accordance with other rules, the rider has
descretion to either leave at the out time or hang around and let the horse
eat, drink or whatever it takes to convince the rider that it's sufficiently
recovered enough to continue.

As you can see below, the original poster expressed concern that the CTR
hold time includes the 10 minutes between arrival and presenting for pulse
rather than beginning after the pulse reaches a parameter.

She mentions that she doesn't believe that having a 10 or 15 minute cooling
time, then a presentation for pulse, then another 15 or 20 minutes of hold
encourages taking care of the horse on trail and expresses concern about the
horse having enough rest.
(???????)

My reply to her was, in a nutshell, that it's up to the rider to do what's
best for the horse and ride in slowly and/or stay after the out time.

>on 7/23/01 11:13 PM, KIMBERLY PRICE at kmprice51@hotmail.com wrote:
>>Lastly, I like my time to start at p&r when the HR is down...encourages
>>walking in and having a recovered horse at the start of the rest
period.