My horse was on IV at 2000 Tevis

Liz liz@noblehorse.com
Like all or most of you, I thought all these horses on IVs at Tevis were
caused by being over-ridden....until it happened to me! My mare was put on
IV at Lyon Ridge,  21 miles into the ride. Weather was still cool and we
arrived there over 3 hours after the start so we weren't over riding.

I requested a blood sample before the IV went in. We also took another
blood sample 48 hours later. The head vet, Jamie Kerr put the IV on and
was puzzled as to why my mare was so dehydrated. After lenghtly
discussions with my local vet, blood tests showed nothing abnormal, it was
decided that she didn't drink enough during the night following the e'lyte
pre-loading.

All this to say "don't judge the book by its cover"

Liz
www.horseinn.com