RE: dead horses

I believe that the current splurge of comments regarding an allegedly
fatality of a horse is getting a bit out of line.

First and foremost we must as usual return to the AERC Rules and Regulations
that govern this sport. In this case the preamble to the Rules and
Regulations is of paramount interest. It states "but the competitor is
ultimately responsible for self and mount before, during and after an
endurance ride. Then we must consider the Rule 15 which delineates the
process for protests and grievances. Please study then carefully before you
do more commenting.

Then we must refer to the Veterinary Guidelines for Judging AERC Endurance
Competitions. Please understand, this set of Guidelines was written by the
Vets who are the controlling factor in our rides. In it's introduction it
states "During the course of a ride, the veterinarian sees the horse
periodically. Therefore, the responsibility of the horse's welfare and
performance clearly remains with the rider.

THE WELFARE OF THE HORSE REMAINS WITH THE RIDER AT ALL TIMES!!!

Then we progress to the Veterinarian Post-Ride Statistical Form. This form
provides for the reporting of all pulls by classification of the type, and
treatment. It also provides for the reporting of any deaths that may have
occurred. This form states" All deaths must be reported. Please attach a
full accounting of circumstances involving the death of a horse. Notify the
AERC Veterinary Committee of death(s) as soon as possible. Please attempt to
determine the cause of death . Consider a through post mortem and submit lab
specimens if at all possible"

So, for all who are making statements about this occurrence, digest the
above, stop irrational statements and ask the proper questions. These could
be;
1. Was the proper Vet Report filed with the AERC Office?
2. Was the veterinary Committee notified as soon as possible?
3. Was a post mortem with lab specimens done?
4. Have you put your questions to the AERC Board of Directors and in
particular your Regional Directors?

Until you consider all of the above and do your part correctly please drop
this discussion from Ride Camp. If/when you have the full information, then
present it to all of us.

Bob Morris