dead horses

I shudder to think what will happen to our sport if the media
presents to the public the wrong image of what it is all about.  Yes,
we care for our horses.  Yes, the vets and riders do everything to
keep from hurting horses.  Yes, things happen that no one could
foresee.  But, consider how a non-horse animal lover could view our
sport after seeing horses trotting out lame, horses peeing black,
horses on IV's, horses dying.  Ah!  Unfortunately, one of these
things happens at just about every ride?!  We cannot continue to
blame these incidents on "newcomers", for that, in reality, is not
always the case.  As our sport becomes more public, we, as
riders, need to understand that risk.  I commend our ride
managers, vets and fellow riders for taking this into consideration
during a ride.  And I beseech all managers, vets and riders to take
every precaution possible, even if it means extra work, taking more
time or pulling, in order to preserve the image of our sport.
John and Sue Greenall
mailto:greenall@vermontel.net
http://www.vermontel.com/~greenall