Re: RC: RE: Preventing Herd Bound Behavior?

IMHO, I think much of this problem is due to the fact that we, as horse
owners/riders, do not go out of our way to "condition" our horses to
"leave" or "be left".  Horses are generally uncomfortable in situations
that are "out of their routine", including new sights and sounds....read
that "spooking".  However, they can be conditioned to ANYTHING..from
cats to cannons.  If a horse is ALWAYS with his buddies, even when you
ride, then he will be uncomfortable being without them.  You have to
work on it.....most of the time we just go along with the horse to avoid
making waves.

Lisa Salas has the right idea....ride together, then "in sight", then
"out of sight" a little more, etc. until they are "conditioned" to deal
with that....but you need to do it gradually.  How long it takes depends
on the personality of the horse(s).

One technique is to ride away just until the other horse starts getting
uncomfortable (happy feet, etc) then ride back.  Reverse this with the
other horse. Do this over and over, farther and farther away, until they
get used to leaving and being left. (Being the leavee is harder than
being the leaver) <Duh> Whut did I say?

Anyway, for the first time in a while, I have two horses instead of
one.  They are already joined at the hip, but I'm working on it and they
are getting better....and I plan to spend a lot of time doing this.
It's a pain in the b*** to deal with...they're gonna have to get over it
one way or another.  I try to "leave" with one then "leave" with the
other one a couple of times a day when I have the time.  Ain't gonna put
up with this nonsense.

I think extensive early handling does help this...and does make them
more independent of other horses and more reliant on their human "herd
leader".  They don't "stomp on people" if you teach them good ground
manners, to stay out of your space, and correct bad habits consistently
(nipping, rubbing, etc).
I PREFER "in your pocket" people loving horses who have been handled a
LOT...that's the first thing I look for in a horse...disposition.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic