RE: Preventing Herd Bound Behavior?

<<I believe one of the least fun things to do on the back of a horse is
too struggle with a horse that HAS to be with other horses and hates to
be alone or left behind. I heard once that that kind of behavior may
have more to do with early management practices rather than genes or
personality. I am just about to wean my 6 month old filly and possibly
move her to a different location. I want to avoid her having numerous
homes and locations as I heard that can contribute to that type of herd
behavior as the horse lacks in self confidence. Anything that I should
know in management practices that might help reduce a strong herd
instinct?? Any ideas? Tips?>>

I am looking forward to the responses on this as my mare can behave like
she's herd bound.  But I think there are a lot more layers to the behavior
than just being herd bound.  I think competitiveness is a part of it -
because she's not herd bound when she's in front!  And she's not herd bound
when we ride alone.

I have a 5 yr old gelding that can behave like he's herd bound on the trail.
But I don't think that's it.  I don't think its competitiveness because he's
only done one CTR clinic.  This horse's dam always has very independent and
bold foals.  He lived in a stall for his first 2 years and doesn't
understand much of herd behavior.  I bought him at 2 and he was my only
horse for 3 months.  He could care less about being alone.  Even now, we
have 4 horses - 3 in one pasture and him by himself.  He can occasionally
see the others but there's been limited interaction.  BTW, he's by himself
because he plays too rough and gets hurt and because he doesn't get the herd
behavior is always getting punished for being a little pest.

And on the trail, he's not terrible, but he's got these long legs (15.2 and
growing!) and it's just too easy for him to catch up but it take a lot of
work to keep him off the horses in front.  And he's such a bold horse that
it's just real nice when he is in front.  Too bad I need to sell the big
brat!

I don't know, maybe it's like people - it's easy to do your own thing when
you're by yourself, but in a group, people try to fit in.  Or maybe the
horses think if they're all going one way in a hurry, there must be
something terrible back there, so who want to be the horse in the back?!

Oh, I've heard a comment, by Mark Rashid I think, that too much early
handling may make the horse more independent of other horses, but they also
think they can stomp all over humans.

Marlene