Re: RC: Re: Bone???-and Arab type

In a message dated 7/24/01 10:10:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
greymare@jps.net writes:

.  I have seen photos of Arabs for sale in California for big bucks ($15,000
to $35,000).  To me, they have just awful conformation, with their butts
much higher than the withers, and the hips too short.  Is this what is
winning at halter?  I see, at endurance rides, some extremely beautifully
conformed Arab athletes, and some really strange looking animals!  Anyone
care to comment?

EEKK!!!!!!
Yes, the Arabian market in California has suffered  from far too much
emphasis on "stretchy necks", "hooky necks", "trotty",  "table-top flat",
etc. The result is a huge overproduction of horses designed to do....nothing
in particular. Sad to say, we saw all of this happen - whilst our own 8"
bone, 15 hand, solidly built, quiet demeanored stallion tried his hoof  at
about every sport around, and did quite well, But with an emphasis on  fed
and not function, not only is it tough for a stallion to find suitable mares,
but it is getting harder to find good athletic ARABIANS!

Sadly, a lot of people who want the $300 miracle, and many of them are show
ring rejects - some athletic just not trotty or some stupid thing, but some
just of such poor quality in general that even a show owner doesn't want it.
I guess when breeders produce dozens if not hundreds of foals a season, some
junk is bound to show up!:)
San