Re: RC: Finding the right bit

Penny...

Sorry I gave up the secret..you're right....I am a John Lyons disciple
and the cue you describe is what he uses.  I started off using that cue,
which works well with Sunny in a normal situation.  However, you can't
"pick up a rein" when he's holding tension on the reins at the beginning
of a ride.  I've seen very few horses who don't get all fired up at the
beginning of a ride...in control maybe, but asking to go.  I needed
something I could use when I had picked up all the slack long ago!
<grin>  I trained him for almost 4 years before he ever did a
ride...never did 25's...only 50's....and he was fit!  Once I started
doing rides, I realized that the "pick up a rein" cue wouldn't work for
me in those situations....he was just too competitive.  That's why I
went to the "sawing" motion with the reins...I can do it when he's
pulling on me....and it helps me calm him down at the ride start.  As
John says, "it doesn't matter what cue you use, as long as you're
consistent, reward with a release, and it works for you".  I have
modified a lot of his stuff for my use. The logic behind what he does is
what's important....how to "speak horse".

Did you catch the "Horse Loading" program on Horse-TV, Channel 9409?  He
needs to read John's books.  If he had to unload horses where and when I
do he would forget about that ramp.  I'd like to seem him get one off on
the side of a mountain when he doesn't have a level spot to drop the
ramp! :)  Teaching a simple "go forward" cue would have elminated all
that punching and prodding.  Sugar cubes? Gimme a break! Well, whatever
works for you, I guess.  Better than winching them on. :)

Regards, Jim and Sun of Dimanche