FW: Questions on your position

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Fruth [mailto:fruth@netzero.com]
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 3:40 PM
To: Bob Morris
Subject: Re: Questions on your position

At 03:58 PM 1/15/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Jerry & Barney:
>
>As a candidate for President;
>
>a. What is your position regarding the AERC Rules and Regulations? We have
>gone well over two years without a corrected set of Rules and numerous
rules
>changes have been made.
>a1, Bob, the new rule book has been printed and is not available for the
>asking.
         As I understand it, the project was put on the back burner by our
past Ex., Director.
         That has been corrected, and the project is completed.

>b. How do you expect Ride Managers, Vets and Riders to compete equally
>without knowing the rules of the sport?
>b1, see above
>c. What will you propose to the Board to correct the above situation?
>c1, see above
>d. What are your feelings on the international scene regarding the current
>proposal to make the USET the governing body for US international
>competition?
>d1, The situation that exists between USET and the AHSA is something that
          is going to be resolved in the next month.  Both sides have put
forth their
          proposals, and in the end it will be up to the USOC to make a
decision
          as to which proposal to accept. There is little AERC can do at
this point
           but to watch the process take place.

>e. In what direction do you intend to lead the AERC regarding the FEI and
>international competition?
>e1, If I am elected President of AERC I would like to see a selection
process
         that is put in place by the athletes. This summer and fall the USA
East
         Team took it upon themselves to completely revamp the selection
process.
          They now have head to head competition to determine which horse
and rider
          team will go to the Pan Am Games.  When the USA East team took a
rider
          vote to determine if there was a desire for change, every rider
except for one
          voted for a change.
          I would expect to see at least two other time zones go the way of
head to head
          competition for the Pan Am games. Then we have the situation of
how to determine
          which horse and rider team should be sent to the world games. For
my part I
          support head to head competition to make the selection. It is the
fair way to
          approach the problem. Put the riders in charge and let the chips
fall where they may.

>f. Do you have a distinct program in mind to further industry sponsorships
>of AERC activities?
>  f1, I have a major marketing proposal for the Board to consider. It will
> take
          AERC up to the next level in national recognition.  It will be a
major
          promotion effort on the part of AERC.  Part of this process will
be to
          build the image of AERC and then to sell that image to potential
          corporate donors.

>G. What are your thoughts regarding more in depth investigation of AERC
data
>to promote the ethics of the sport as a safe and sane use of the horse?
>G1, Most of you are aware that we are in the process of rebuilding our
>computer
          base for AERC.  Digging up old data in the past has been a time
consuming
          process. Hopefully, with the new system we will be able to access
our  records
          in a more timely fashion. We have just so much staff time
available to spend on
          needs outside the daily work routine in the office.  Recently the
Vet committee
          wanted some information that took the staff a substantial amount
of time to
          create.  But to promote the safe and sane use of our horses, I
would promote
          a process where by a new rider would go through a learning
process with a mentor,
          following an outline for training as laid out by the AERC and in
the end receive a
          certificate for completing the course.

>h. Do you intend to promote the sport of endurance riding, the necessity of
>trails and the drug free environment we compete in with the American Horse
>Council?
>H1, Well, I think you all know how much I care about our trails. Trail
>presevation is without
          a doubt a huge project for the  AERC. If I am elected as your
President, I can assure you
          that it will remain a high priority.  AERC is without a doubt a
model for other equine
          organizations thought the US when it comes to horse care, and our
drug policies.
          It is one of the cornerstones to our success.  Whenever possible
we should use it
          in our promotion of our sport and the AERC.
     One last comment. We have spent the past 2 years working our way out
of a difficult financial
      position. We now have financial controls is place, a budget in place
and a computer
      system in place that is keeping us informed as to where we are
financially.  Without a
      strong financial base we are little more than a poorly run saddle
club. It will remain
       strong under my watch!
      Thank you for the questions and the opportunity to share my thoughts
with you.  Jerry