Re: RC: Re: Fw: Fw: Scratches, Sauerkraut, & Hints From Heloise

I guess it depends on which plague to which is being referred. The plague is a
fairly general term. Bubonic is spread by the rat flea Xenopsylla cheopis, which
is a parasite of the brown rat.  The pneumonic plague was spread most often by
the droplets sprayed from the lungs and mouth of infected persons. Of course
infection could spread from the lungs to other parts of the body, which resulted
in septicemic plague which infected the blood. Sepeticemic plague also could be
initiated by direct contact of of contaminated hands, food or other objects.

So in one of the particular "plagues" the rat flea was the carrier, but it was
not the only way to spread "the plague" in Europe.

At least that's what my history book says.

Truman

--
Vertex Engineering, Inc.
Innovative Solutions