Re: RC: PG Mares

In a message dated Wed, 17 Jan 2001  9:23:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Annie George" <ageorge@vtc.net> writes:

<<
I am not digging out my
rule book rite now, But isn't it against the rules to ride a pregnant mare in an
AERC sanctioned ride?????   >>

Just the opposite--it is, in fact, against the rules to discriminate against them.  Don't have the phrase in front of me, but it pretty much says that rides will be open to "all equines" with the only limitation to that being to disallow those under 60 months of age for 50's and up, and under 48 months of age for LD's.  For a ride manager to write a rule prohibiting pregnant mares is in violation of that rule, as pregnant mares are clearly included in "all equines".  If a mare were close to term, I suppose a ride vet could refuse to pass her at the vet-in, but have yet to see this happen as most riders who ride pregnant mares have used good discretion as to how late in gestation they compete with them.  Pregnancy is NOT an illness or an abnormal physical state.  I have personally ridden mares quite competitively up to about 7-1/2 months.  I have also known fit women who have themselves run marathons well into their pregnancies with no ill effects whatsoever.  From a veterinary!
 standpoint, my only real advice
 on the subject is not to START riding a pregnant mare that is not used to being ridden, and not to STOP riding a really active mare just because she IS pregnant--until one tapers her off gradually as she nears term.  It is truly healthiest for them to continue whatever they are used to doing--whether that be endurance or being a pasture potato--rather than to abruptly alter their lifestyle.

Heidi