Re: RC: Prejudiced? Mare or Gelding? White hooves or black?

In a message dated 1/16/01 7:39:04 AM PDT, harpy@io.com writes:

<< Now that I've found my former-race horse/endurance prospects I'm just
 mulling over some old, possibly prejudiced information while I wait for it
 to dry out enough for me to go do test rides.

 I've only owned mares.  And fairly calm quarterhorse and appaloosa mares at
 that.   Now that I'm looking at 'hotter' arabs,  I'm thinking I should look
 primarily at geldings.

 What's your preference for an endurance horse, mare or gelding?
    I have a mare and I do prefer mares. I think mares have the "gusto"
attitude, although there are some that don't and there are geldings that have
the same attitude and willingness. Seems that mares are the more dominate.

 And did anyone ever prove that hoof color was not connected to softness?
 White hooves on all four feet aren't necessarily bad for an endurance
 prospect arab, are they?

    I have a chestnut mare with 4 white sox, 4 white hooves. I don't have
feet problems or problems with scratches. I'm not sure why you would be so
concerned with the color of the hoof...? I'm sure there good feet have more
to do with thick and strong hoof walls, not with the color. There is thick
walls in both colors. So look for the horse who will do the "endurance" job
and is best suitable for you.
        Kori Byrd & Nantyka's April