RE: Re: Hoof color

I've always felt that black hooves were more brittle and white were more
"elastic" maybe.  But neither to any detriment.  We now have a horse with 4
high whites and they were much easier to trim - until he spent some time on
our sand and rock trails.

I have a mare with a white spot at the top of the hoof and therefore a white
stripe on one hoof.  That white stripe is always the first area that needs
to be trimmed.  I don't think that it is harder and doesn't wear, but that
it grows faster.  It doesn't seems lesser quality hoof, otherwise it would
wear more.

We have a Palomino mustang with white feet.  His are just as tough as
another mustangs with black hooves - but I think they grow at least a third
to half faster - or else don't wear.

But, like anything else in this business - it's all in the individuals!

Marlene