ex-racehorse arabs

Greetings Lif,

Lif wrote:

"No, you wouldn't be starting completely from scratch, but you would be
starting with a horse that has been conditioned for *completely different
sport* and has probably NOT received any LSD work.  So why not start with a
plow horse?  Or a roping horse?  Doesn't the quality and kind of base put
on an endurance horse matter?  Or are we going back to the concept of
endurance as a non-specialized sport in which "any old horse will do".

Well, I hope we are not going back to the concept of "any old horse will do!"
I do think that the quality and kind of base put on an endurance horse matters a great deal.
Any to shift this back to ex-race horses, I think they have one of the best base starts
that any athlete, human, canine, equine, or whatever can have.  This is INTENSIVE CARDIOVASCULAR
conditioning.  I think any well rounded athlete should start with a cardiovascular
conditioning program...........and continue with that program, advancing it as tolerated by
that particular individual.  And it should be maintained.  I say "SHOULD" but we all know that doesn't
happen in real life all the time.  A plow horse is not an athlete, and has an unsuited
body type for out sport.  Most roping horses I know also have an unsuited body
type for our sport, and have little or no cardiovascular conditioning, as it is really not perceived as needed
for an 8-12 second burst of speed.  I do know you made the comment about plow horses
facetiously, (I am really not that stupid), but felt it important to address it. And the majority of
the ex-race horses arabs are athletes, they do have the intensive cardiovascular conditioning which
provides a base for our sport, as well as track racing, and other equestrian sports. And the ex-race horse
arabs do have a suited body type for our sport!

This cardiovascular conditioning provides a lifetime base, making reconditioning the turned out for the
winter horse faster, and easier.  It makes the initial conditioning period (the LSD work you mentioned)
easier, I think, without having to worry so much about the cardiovascular conditioning.  Not that I would
ignore that aspect, however, you need not devote as much effort to that aspect.  And clearing that vet check the
first time that P&R person checks our horse thrills everybody, I think!!

Well, enough said..........just my opinoun!!!  I would address other issues with you regarding ex-race horses,
I think there are 4 more very important reasons why ex-race horsese make excellent choices for
endurance horses, but am interested in what your previous questions were?  Let me know. Once
again, I don't think I am the best person with the most knowledge on this forum to address these issues,
but as you said, nobody else is answering you.  There are a lot more experienced people out there.

One more thing........at the end of the ride, coming in to the finish line and asking for more, my ex-race
horses have always given that "more" and still pulsed down within seconds of arriving.

Tally Ho!
Kriss