Re: going bitless/grass-grabbing

At 09:57 PM 7/20/01 -0700, Abigail wrote:
>This may sound stupid, but I've found that my horse tries to eat on the
>trail because he is hungry.

Unfortunately, my Mustang is VERY food-oriented (regardless of when he was
last fed). I'm told this is common with the breed, but don't know how true
that is as he's the only Mustang I know 'round here.

>The other thing you can do is just buy a rope halter and a pair
>of rope reins with scissor snaps, and you can clip the reins to
>the fiador knot or the sides of the noseband on the halter.

I thought of this, but wondered if it would give the same effect that the
Natural Hackamore does. The way the Natural Hackamore is tied has the rope
cinching in above the fiador knot, therefore making the rope halter
tighter. Is this the preferred set-up for a reason, or is it just as
effective to clip reins onto the fiador knot?

Thx... Janet
zestes@sd69.bc.ca