Fw: Mail could not be delivered

I can't help but respond to some of the brouhaha regarding the requirements of health certificates and coggins testing.  My husband is a NY state field veterinarian who was in private practice for 16 years, and I have hauled horses all over the US and Canada, so I have seen this issue from both sides- the government, the vet and the horse owner.  BTW, this is my view - he is not home right now, so I am speaking as a competitor and horse owner with access to what may be more info than the average bear.

Granted, having a current health certificate does not mean that your horse is free from disease, but what other measures are there?  If a health certificate were not required at all, the spread of some diseases such as strangles, rhino, rabies and EIA could become rampant.  As it is, if you had a horse who was brewing one of the viral diseases and did not know it, when your veterinarian took his temp for your health charts, it may show up- or he may notice a nasal discharge you dismissed.  The presence of contagious disease, as seen by a veterinarian could keep some horse owners from transporting animals who would ultimately infect others in a wide area. You are correct, it does not necessarily keep those who want to do it anyway, from spreading disease to your horse and mine, but governmental regulations may stem the tide.

Why is it that the UK has hoof and mouth and mad cow when we do not?? Because in part, this country has stringent import requirements and other safety nets in place to avoid the spread of these diseases.  EIA, as my husband has explained on this list before, is a deadly disease.  Wouldn't you rather have those safety nets in place (albeit with some unavoidable holes) than none??  I have seen the horses my husband has had to euthanize because they were EIA positive and failing - I would rather subject my horse to a painless $15 test than see him die from this disease.  I have seen my husband quarantine and then have to destroy a herd of swine who were illegally imported from the south without proper testing and then tested positive to pseudo rabies.  Those pigs threatened the livelihood of every farmer in this area.  There was a legitamate reason for that testing.  It is no different with our horses.

There is no governmental conspiracy to take people's money and the health of the animals be damned - safe guards against disease are in place to protect our animals and our health, in some cases.  I would hate to see the havoc in this country without these safeguards.

Laura Hayes AERC #2741

---- Begin included message ----

Could not process part with Content-Type: multipart/mixed;boundary="------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary".
---- End included message ----