Re: RC: Re: Confiscated Hay

Hmmm...

In addition, there can be "too much of a good thing".  That is, since
the normal complement of "whatever" is good, then LOTS of them must be
better.

A case in point...

In my youth, the inocuous ladybug was considered beneficial, ate pests
in the garden and were much admired.  There was some feeling that the
ladybug could help control a pest affecting trees.  Therefore, great
numbers of foreign (Japanese, I believe) ladybugs were imported and
released.  They multiplied in great numbers  but there is  still some
doubt as to whether they benefited the trees.  However, there is NO
doubt that they are a pestilence on mankind in this area greater than
the locusts of bibical times. After the first frost, they swarm in great
numbers in sunny, open areas.  The horses in the pasture go nuts running
around trying to escape them. They enter houses, barns, and buildings
through the tiniest opening, even around windowsill and door trim.  They
cluster on windows and ceilings til they die, which generates an
unbelievably noxious odor.  The attic and crawl spaces of houses are
literally covered in their dead bodies. In addition, they bite, which
the native ladybug did not.

I'm sure like other organizations, the Forest Service has good people
and bad.  I've give up trying to find a consistent policy in their
organization. They are a study in contrast, chastising the public on
trivial issues and "damage to the flora and fauna", closing trails and
micromanaging creek crossings.   Then on the other hand, creating
logging roads into sensitive areas and clear cutting timber in places
that cause more destruction to watersheds and more environmental damage
in one month than all the horses and campers in the Southeast could
cause in 10 years.

Several years ago in the Chattahoochee National Forest, there was a
horse trail closed through an area because there was "bank erosion"
being caused by horses at a creek crossing. ONE MONTH later, they clear
cut about 20 acres that the same creek ran through. They graded a road
where the horse trail used to be and ran logging trucks through the
creek crossing.  The creek ran red with mud for months.  Go figure......

Jim and Sun of Dimanche